Monday, November 16, 2009

Why do students reverse letters?

When most people hear the word dyslexia, they think about reversing letters. While many dyslexics DO have letter reversals, so do many young non-dyslexic children. Why is this?

The explanation that has made the most sense to me, and the one I use when explaining to students and parents, is this. I hold up a pencil: "What is this?" "A pencil," the student says. I turn the pencil upside-down. "Now what is it?" "A pencil," he replies. I do this several times, rotating the pencil each time, and always the answer is a pencil. Then I hold a d letter card up: "What is this?" "A d," he says. I rotate the card: "Now what is it?" "A p." What worked for the pencil doesn't for the letter.

Up to now in a child's experience, an object remains the same object any way it is positioned. Letter and number symbols are the first thing a child encounter in which the positioning matters. It's a different object with each different orientation, or perhaps it's no object at all. A pencil can't be "backwards", but a letter or number can. So of course it's confusing, and most young children reverse their letters at some point. I gently correct and teach them how to "make their bed" (a way to hold their fists to make a bed and see the correct orientation of b and d). Generally this goes away with time and familiarity with the language. If it hasn't by second grade, it's time to take a second look.

No comments:

Post a Comment